Total Pageviews to Date

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

In The Groove...Workout

Wednesday, December 23th 2015
Today was a good start to actively keeping fit down here in the Keys. It was time for the shake down cruise on the mountain bikes. Oddly enough, there are no mountains in Key West, but that doesn’t stop us from getting a workout on the bikes. One only has to keep in the higher gears and the pedaling gets harder and the exercise get beneficial. So, for our first ride, we went across down over to Truman Annex, another Navy base. It’s only about three miles, but for a shakedown cruise it was enough to see if anything needed adjustment, after a long dormant time up in New Hampshire.
Christmas Cards filling the top rail of the slide in the camper!
The ride over was uneventful, I did need to adjust the kickstand from rubbing off of the pedal. A minor repositioning of the bike padlock was also needed. At Truman Annex, we explored the deserted beach. Things have changed since last year. There is a large petrified log that we used to sit on last year. To our surprise, the log is buried, nearly invisible. About two feet of coral rocks have been pushed ashore. This part of the beach isn’t really good for swimming, but mostly used for sitting under one of the shelters, looking at the ocean, reading a good book and relaxing the day away. It was early and we were on a mission of making sure the bikes were road worthy for our roundabout of the Kew West Island. On the way back, we detoured into Truman Annex, the civilian high-end housing district. This hasn’t changed, everything is prim and proper and also with a hefty price tag to live, rent or buy property. Vehicle traffic here is restricted to occupants, bicycles are allowed, but the gates are locked, I believe around 6 or 7 in the evening. It is a wonderful evening walk or bike ride, if you don’t mind walking or biking to a one and only access point.
Santa's helper down on the docks!
Once back at NAS Trumbo campground, Helen kept reminding me that we should be going over to the Olympic size swimming pool and join the aqua aerobic class. First, I was concerned that the water would be to cold, yes, that’s what I’ve been hearing. Secondly, I wasn’t sure if there would be any  guys in the class. Well, moving right along, I agreed to go. Helen said it was free so what did I have to lose!
It was free, except, we had to walk back to the camper and bring our military ID’s. I was surprised to see how many people showed up both from Trumbo and Sigbee campground. Ok, the water temperature was 78 degrees, it was cool to get into, but in three minutes, the athletic looking female instructor was moving us around and the temperature was a none issue. It was the first time that I have tried this type of exercise. With five bulging disks, (no back pain, just numbness in my left leg), I was surprised to see how this aerobic exercise seemed to work for me. The water resistance is the key. Look at me, talking like an expert! Will see how this activity will workout for my chubby waste line numbers. Oh, yes, there were enough males in the class for me to blend in!

That is what we saw and did!

No comments: